Stephanie Roy, B.A, B.Ed, M.A, OCT, Ph.D Candidate
Executive Director of Kenjgewin Teg
Stephanie Roy, OCT, B.A., M.A Executive Director, KTEI
July 20, 2016
Indeed, it was an amazingly busy year. 2015-2016 marks our final year of our five-year strategic plan 2011-2016. This strategic plan guided our place of learning in so many facets of our Aboriginal Institute. We stayed true to our principles ensuring language, culture and education/training were central to everything we did.
As you read our 2015-16 annual report you will see how busy we have been here at Kenjgewin Teg and the tremendous commitment of our team to deliver the best there is in Anishinaabek Education and Training.
In our annual report you will see:
- The implementation of Culture Based Education and Training;
- A post-secondary completion rate of 71%;
- Including our base year from 2010-11, there has been 295 credentials granted including an OSSD Certificate, diploma and degrees;
- 56% of our PSE students this year have graduated with Anishinaabe Odziwin distinction;
- A partnership with Rainbow District School Board in the outdoor education program and the Shki Nesewin interdisciplinary program;
- The program administration of FNSSP initiative with member schools administered and coordinated;
- An Anishinaabe Immersion Program for Mnidoo Mnising in research partnership with Queen’s University for Kindergarten to grade 1; and,
- A standardized Anishinabemowin Ojibwe language tool was launched.
We have set our path with moving forward with the province in establishing an Aboriginal Institutes policy that addresses training that will meet the needs of First Nation learners using a more improved and impactful approach. This approach is being done with the collaboration of the Aboriginal Institutes in Ontario. As we wrap up a very successful five-year strategic plan, we are moving forward with the planning of phase II of our capital plan by building a new Anishinaabek Skills Research and Innovation Centre adjacent to our current facility. Again, we have had an amazing year due to the wholehearted support of our staff and students who continue to demonstrate a commitment to our core values and commitment at 110%. Without our staff, our accomplishments would not show the success you see in this report. They are the reason why Kenjgewin Teg is #1!
We look forward to the implementation of our next five-year strategic plan and working with our communities in full collaboration and partnership.
Yours in education,
Stephanie Roy, M.A, (OCT), Ph.D. Candidate